St. George Church 

  History

Parish School of Religion (PSR)

St. George School

Jefferson City Diocese



St. George Catholic Church


Among the first settlers in Hermann were 33 Catholics. Although they had hoped to build a church as early as 1840, construction on the stone church did not begin until 1845. Work was completed in 1850, one year after the arrival of the first duly appointed pastor.
 
The first church, built on the site of the present church but situated from north to south, was 50 feet long and 36 feet wide. The church was enlarged in 1866 by a 14-foot brick addition on the south side. The addition served as the sanctuary and sacristy.

In 1875, the Franciscan Friars of the Sacred Heart Province (St. Louis) took charge of the parish. Among them were very talented lay brothers who drew up plans to remodel the interior of the church. A bell tower, which still stands today, was constructed for the old church around 1900. Two of the brothers carved the large altars for that church from locally grown butternut trees. The altars were moved to the present church when it was erected in 1916.

The stained glass windows were purchased in 1924. Ten were made in Germany. The windows depict the Seven Corporal and Seven Spiritual Works of Mercy. The Rose Window at the rear of the church was also installed in 1924.

  

A parish school building was erected in 1870. A high school was built in 1950, but was closed in 1970. The school was staffed by Franciscan Brothers from 1875-1877. Sisters of St. Francis from Lafayette, Indiana served until 1989, and a School Sister of Notre Dame, St. Louis Province, served until 1993. That year the first lay principal was hired. Currently, both school buildings are used for grades pre-school through eight. 

The Franciscan Friars served St. George Parish until July 2002. Fr. William Debo was appointed as the first Diocesan Priest for St. George Parish at that time, and he continues to serve the parish.